Epikos Church - Real People. Real Stories. Amazing God.
Just a Fan
• A fan is reluctant to obey but a follower is aggressively obedient.
• A fan is content with believing in Jesus but a follower is committed to behaving like Jesus.
• A fan mistakes knowledge OF Jesus for intimacy WITH Jesus
• A fan will follow as long as the benefits outweigh the sacrifice but a follower will sacrifice to worship and bless others.
• A fan is bent on his own agenda but a follower is surrender to the will of God.
• A fan will follow till the road gets rough but a disciple won’t quit till he reaches the finish line. (Cortez burning his ships)
• A fan wants to be served but a follower lives to serve
• A fan sees Jesus as one of many, but to a follower he is the one and only Jn. 6:68
Luke 5:1-11 “They left their nets and followed Him.”
In order to follow we must leave some things behind:
We want Maximum Results with Minimum Effort
Ultimately what it leads to is Christianity without the cross; not the Cross Jesus carried for me but the cross I must carry for Him.
"Fishers for men" the Holy Spirit changes our pursuits, our desires, our definitions of success. His pursuits become ours. Lk 19:10, Jn. 3:16
“Bill Bright, founder of Campus Crusade for Christ and author of the Four Spiritual Laws chose three words for his tombstone: "slave for Jesus”.
It’s time to define the relationship: where are you?
1. Are you like the crowds that followed Jesus around merely a fan; close enough to get the goodies but not so close that it requires sacrifice? Too often we think we are following when really we are just fans.
2. Are you like the religious leaders of the day, ignoring the message because of what it will cost you?
3. Are you like one of the Disciples, willing to leave everything behind to be close to Jesus.
If you'd like to speak with one of the pastors at Epikos Church in Bend, Oregon you can fill out the form below. We'd love to hear from you.
Pastors Phil Harris of Epikos Church in Bend, Oregon.