EPIKOS CHURCH - REAL PEOPLE. REAL STORIES. AMAZING GOD.
A Mandate to Use Your Spiritual Gifts
There are six declarations that Peter gives us. When it comes to spiritual gifts, we look at them like we would a birthday present or any other gift given to us. We are honored and grateful to receive them but we feel that they are given to us for our enjoyment and betterment we believe that we can use them at our leisure; when we choose, how we choose and IF we choose. Unfortunately, God doesn't see it that way. He sees them more as an investment and a responsibility. More like a stewardship. God is a wise investor and He expects a good return on His investment read Matthew chapter 25 for more about that. When He deposits spiritual gifts in us, He expects us to use them and grow them right here in Bend, Oregon.
Peter's 6 Declarations on Spiritual Gifts
1. Be accepting! God HAS given you gifts whether you realize it or not.
2. Be responsible! He expects us to use them and manage them well.
3. Be intentional! When we use our gifts appropriately, God is pouring His love, favor and generosity out upon all whom we minister
to while using those gifts. It is Him working His will and power through us. His strength and power become ours.
4. Be bold! When we speak about Jesus, realize that God Himself is speaking through us.
5. Be assured! When we bless, help and encourage others; the Holy Spirit supplies the grace, energy, strength and provision
needed to do the job. You won't burn out or go bust because He supplies everything needed
6. Be joyful! When we bless and serve others for Jesus' sake, He is glorified and made great in the eyes of the world and those who
don't yet know Him are drawn to Him.
1 Peter 4:10-11
"God has given each of you a gift from his great variety of spiritual gifts. Use them well to serve one another. Do you have the gift of speaking? Then speak as though God himself were speaking through you. Do you have the gift of helping others? Do it with all the strength and energy that God supplies. Then everything you do will bring glory to God through Jesus Christ. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen."
Pastors Phil Harris of Epikos Church in Bend, Oregon.